Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Locked and Loaded: Paper Gun Style

For months now, I have watched as my son has discovered a talent for making paper guns. I watched as he saw a boy on the internet show how he rolled paper into barrels, folded it into stocks, and taped them together to create what looked like a rifle or pistol. Hunter has always had that little boy instinct of picking up a stick and using it to play soldier or cop or, in most cases at our house, storm trooper. At first, this little “talent” disturbed me, “Oh my word, he’s becoming obsessed! He’s headed for a life of violence and destruction!” After being reassured by more than a few individuals that I was most likely NOT raising the next Hitler and that he was a well adjusted, normal little boy, I began to appreciate his flair for the creation of paper weaponry.


Honestly, dudes and dudettes, he’s becoming pretty stinkin’ good at this. His first gun was an MP5. Of course, I wouldn’t know an MP5 from a C3PO, but he is learning. Originally, I simply thought he was just making up letters and numbers to sound impressive. Apparently, this has been a long-time habit of men (little boys) everywhere because I’m discovering that these letters and numbers really do mean something to their makers and most of their users. This first gun was made from cardstock and tape he found in my office. The only other supplies necessary are scissors. He watched and followed the instructions on the tutorial and that was that. He went home and there began the total domination of the paper gunsmithing kingdom. My house is now literally overrun with paper MP5’s, pistols, sniper rifles, AK47’s, STG44’s, MP40’s, BAR Browning rifles, Thompson submachine guns, and a few of his own creations (hope I got all those names right!).

Not only are we fully supplied by paper a gun arsenal (and I can hear the gun control comments rushing through the air as I write this), but we have the occasional battle ax, knives, swords, grenade launcher, bazookas (sorry that one may be a gun), scopes, clips/magazines, and tripods/stands. We are ready if any paper legions head our way – watch out Oh Great Paper Faux (ha – foe)!

I have even received my own tutorial session on making a paper gun (couldn’t tell you what I made – remember, the # & letters thing is lost on me), and I can tell you that he’s a pretty good instructor. He carried me through each step of rolling, folding, taping, cutting, and attaching. He was very patient and knowledgeable about his craft. I will say that occasionally, it gets a little old stepping over all the “gunnery” in the living room (and all other living places and/or vehicles), but my little man has found something he is excellent at, and who wouldn’t admit to owning that kind of confidence!

I thought I’d share a few of his creations here. The good thing about them – we are recycling! We have lots of paper that just gets thrown away at my office, so I am trying to collect it to see how much we have at the end of the year (Ah! Moment – new blog entry!) and Hunter has found a way to use it. Aside from the cost of tape, this little hobby isn’t costing me very much at all. He even buys his own tape if he has money from allowance, etc. Yep – “green guns” and peaceful ones at that. We could be members of “The New Earth Army” (see Men Who Stare at Goats!). Pretty cool! Pretty cool kid!

                                                    









                                                      

12 comments:

Nat said...

Wow! Those are some very realistic guns :-)

Andrea said...

Yeah - of course, I'm never sure how "to scale" they are, but they look pretty realistic to me too. When he asks if he can take them to the park or into a store or somewhere, I always have to explain why mommy might end up in jail if someone didn't realize the gun wasn't real and thought we were trying to play "stick 'em up". LOL!

Ms. A said...

Kid has talent!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

K...those seem harmless. I happen to enjoy downloading and printing those folding superheroes and doing a fold and tape job.

I taught on an indian reserve once and there was this one kid who did very little work. I put him in a room by himself to finish a project once. After three hours I went to get him. He had completed NO school work but using paper from his scribbler, he had made oragami wolverine claws that were beautiful. I could do little else but drop he head and laugh and then stear him towards more creative pursuits. He may never be able to explain the War of 1812 but I am convinced he will be a great great native paper artist. At least I hope he does. I tried to encourage him as much.

~L said...

wow! I've never seen such masterpieces! How old is Hunter? Kudos to you for teaching responsibility for our earth and societial mores. Thanks for sharing.
~L

Glennis said...

Now those are safe guns and quite realistic too.

PurestGreen said...

That is some intricate work. My beloved boyfriend is 28 and would love to make such things. The boyish fascination with all things that go KERBOOM never ends. :)

Horlic said...

It looks real thou.

Trenda said...

WooHoo! These are awesome! Well, done, kiddo! My son recently learned how to make paper tanks. Those were a hit, as well. :-)

Bright Blessings,

Tren

Andrea said...

Ms. Anthropy - thank you - he saw you guys comments and is now on cloud nine. I will tell you as soon as he comes down! LOL!

Cal - I substituted for a year in public school. I remember the kid who was very talented but no one seemed to notice or encourage him because they were too busy bringing him down for the things he WASN'T doing. It's hard to find that balance of encouragement and discipline. I bet that kid will always remember you as being an encourager! Would love to know what he's doing now, huh?

~L - Thanks - They are trying to make them a little more conscious of those things in school too. That helps. I just always try to keep that balance of letting a boy be tough and be a boy and teaching him responsibility and compasion or at least thoughtfulness. (I do want him to be tough, but with heart!)

Glennis - He said, "She was nice!" when he read what you had written. He loves his craft, just hope he always keeps balanced! Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks, Purest Green! I guess there's always a little boy in there somewhere! I love it - I still have my inner kid (the kids have actually told me that it's not good to loose your inner kid!). Tell your sweetie that Hunter will be glad to give him a tutorial! LOL!

Horlic - they do look real, there are some that are better than what I have pictured here, but I won't let him take them into any of the parks we visit or stores, etc. I am afraid that wouldn't be a good idea - you can imagine!

Trenda! - Thank you - he was so glad to see your comment! I bet those tanks are cool!

Pat Tillett said...

Those are amazing. Add a little spray paint and they'd almost look real. I think the kid has talent.
another great post Andrea! How did I get this far behind?

Andrea said...

You've been a little busy with roatrips and alien jerky - LOL! I so behind in my blog reading it's not funny. "Thanks," from Hunter. He's an amazing little guy. I'm trying to encourage him to paint some of them. We'll have to be extra careful then not to take any in the car with us - don't want to be rollin' w/my little homies and get into trouble w/the popo. LOL!