Monday, March 29, 2010

Find a Penny, Pick It Up…the Rest of the Day, You’ll Know You'r Mimi's Thinking of You

Dropped change…we’ve all seen it, found it, picked it up. Maybe YOU’ve even been the one who dropped it. I’ve always loved finding money (I know, who doesn’t!). I scour for change like an old man combs the beach with a metal detector. On a more realistic note, I actually just happen upon it, but will most definitely get excited and go to some length to obtain it. In fact, last Friday, I was standing in line at a local gas station. It was my turn at the counter. I happened to look down and spotted not one penny, but two! Then - wow - a dime! The pennies were relatively easy to scoop up; however, the dime presented more of a problem! He was hiding closer under the counter, just out of reach between two displays. Now came the delima - do I take the time to make a scene and bend down to fish it out, or do I try to manuever it out and smoothly, with the coolness of Kojak, pick up the golden grail? I usually try to be discreet, and having children lends itself nicely to this. “Look kids, money.” And of course, they go diving! So we all share in the joy! But this day, I was without my counterparts and, there were people behind me waiting. Not being able to take my focus off the silver siren, I quickly swiped my card, paying for the goods, slid the dime with my toe to rechable position, swooped down (almost loosing my balance - funny woman faceplant time), and retrieved not only the dime but the two pennies as well. Now how I may have looked to those around me, I have no clue. I was up and gone without looking back. The cost of pride that day, my friend: $.12! Uh-huh, yeah!

Now there are as many thoughts on the afterlife as Jethro has holes in his underwear, but that’s not what this little discourse is about, exactly. I lost my mom about 4 years ago to the nightmarish disease of Alzheimer’s. Only about 60 years of age when she began to show signs, she was robed of many years of quality life. What a gifted individual of which the world was robbed. She had her quirks, as do we all, but she was a very special Mimi, the name given to her by her grandchildren. My children were 4 and 2 when she passed, so they never had the opportunity of knowing her.

My mom had this funny knack of spotting lost change! She had an eye like a hawk when it came to finding these unclaimed treasures. It seemed like every place we went, she found a penny, a nickel - some sort of coin. I believe I share the same enthusiasm she had when she spied the tokens!

My children and I speak of Mimi from time to time – memories I have of her, special things I would like for them to know. One such funny recollection is this knack at finding dropped change. My kids love this story, and, somewhere along the way, I began saying, “Look, there’s a penny. Your Mimi’s thinking of you.” So they would pick up the coin and hold it or put it in their pocket. Now, when they spot one, they announce the same sentiment. We’ve had fun, over the last year, in particular, collecting these “dropped treasures”. We’ve decided to fill a jar that the kids decorated with any change we find and whatever we have left from breaking a dollar. Consequently, we have a jar full of, shall we say, treasures of a dual nature! So thanks to all the "droppers" out there who unwittingly give my children and me, not only a little extra change in a jar, but warmth in our hearts.

10 comments:

Ms. A said...

We've found quite a bit of money this way. Once found $80, in bills, outside a skating rink. Also did a complete turn around, at a busy intersection, to retrieve bills in the median. One of my kids was especially gifted. Used to have to pull him out from under counters at the store, always with cash in hand! Some amazing jewelry finds, too.

Pat Tillett said...

that's a very nice story. It keeps "mimi" alive and in your family's thoughts.

Is the Jethro you referred to Jethro Bodine?

I was in a store one day and saw a quarter peeking out from under the edge of the counter. As hard as I tried to pick it up I couldn't. After laughing for about 30 seconds, the sales clerk told me that it was superglued to the floor!

Nat said...

This is a lovely post, a memory of your mom :-)

Andrea said...

That's so funny! I haven't had to be pulled out from counters yet, but if you have any special techniques - pass them along! Ha! Wow - jewelry? I found a necklace digging through a shoe bin when younger, but nothing amazing. Some people just seem to have that "knack"!

Andrea said...

Pat - how raw!! I guess it would be funny seeing that though, sorry! I would've probably gotten out some heavy power tool and torn up the floor...but I would've had their quaaaarteeeerrrr! Ha! Just kidding! It is nice to remember my mom and some of her funny ways!
And Jethro is actually my brother that we found in the woods behind our house. LOL! You know how it is down here in the South!

Thanks, Nat! I may write more on her in the future - she was a mess sometimes, but a good lady.

DrSoosie said...

Hi..I am new to your blog and I really like what you wrote. I too always pick up a found penny. I have a special thing with my son whereby if we find a penny together he "blesses" it and it becomes suddenly a lucky penny. I have two such pennies I always carry with me in my purse. T this day, when I have a doctor's appointment I pull out the two pennies (they are together in a plastic case) and hold them...for good luck!!! They have always worked for me...and my mom sometimes borrows them too!!!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Thank you, DrSoosie! Fun finding money, isn't it? What a neat thing to be able to share things like that with our kids.

Ashley King said...

i am totally with you on the whole "hey kids, look! money!!" they'll go diving for it everytime.... and if they're not with me, i usually refuse, unless it appears to be a BILL of some sort... if it turns out to be a fake bill (which has happened on many occasions, i just toss it in the trash as if i was helping to clean the floors).... my eye sight is pretty bad, so sometimes when i think i've found coins, i've grabbed pieces or foil, or screws or other weird items that shine in the sunlight....

so i've given up picking up the change, unless of course someone is there to either 1. pick it up or 2. tell me that it's a hershey kisses wrapper. ;)

what a wonderful idea for the children.... my daughter calls my stepmother "mimi." she has a mimi, a nana, a grandma, and a grammy.... phewf! lots to remember.... i love nana and mimi. =)

i'm sorry about the loss of your mother.... as difficult as it is to experience the loss, sometimes it is more difficult to watch them (and everyone around them) suffer.... most everyone would never want to live like that.... i am sincerely sorry for your loss still....

you should take pictures of the jars... find pictures of their mimi and make a little book on snapfish or shutterfly and tell a story about them finding coins and their mimi thinking of them.... it'll be something they can remember, forever.... if they can't remember her. =) just a thought.

Andrea said...

Funny - I hate that about your vision, but it is disheartening when you just know you've found a big quarter & it turns out to be a crazy bolt or bottle cap, etc.

Wow - those are a lot of names to remember - but I know you're thankful.

You're right about watching them suffer. It wasn't easy letting my mom slip away that night, but it was a very special time shared by my niece and I - we watched as she lost those horrible chains of disease!

What a great idea about the jar - I haven't really worked with snapfish or shutterfly - just to see others stuff. I will have to remember that - maybe you can send me a tutorial - LOL!