Monday, April 5, 2010

Postal Pals



How can a mundane trip to the post office turn into an all out meet and greet? I am contemplating this as I currently snack on some Toy Story Cheez-its and Chips Ahoy! Candy Blast cookies– yes, the stark reality of a secretary’s life is one of glamour, philosophy, and Cheez – lots of Cheez. (Don’t be jealous.)
Back to the postal visit…I am handed an envelope by my boss and instructed to rush to the post office and make sure it gets over-nighted. (Crunch, Crunch…hey, I just ate Buzz – sorry, it’s the ADHD or whatever you call us overly thinking, creative types.) So, I dutifully head out on my errand. Arriving at the post office, I exit my car, blah, blah…fast forward to standing in line. So, I am standing in line, being anxiously observant of my turn to step to the desk for service. The line was growing behind me, and I was preceded by three fellow anxiety-ridden patrons. A voice blurts from behind, “You girls must be sisters.” What? Call me totally ignorant (heard it before), but what is your first impression when you hear those words? Who is she even talking to – is she addressing someone she has made eye contact with or just lettin’ it surface like canned biscuits fryin’ in grease (try it – just watch!)? I, along with everyone ahead of me, turn around to see this woman in knee shorts (hang on, this plays later into the story) looking and pointing out me and a lady two individuals ahead of me. Time for “first of alls”…FIRST OF ALL, we look nothing alike; SECOND OF ALL, we had nothing, seemingly, in common. We exchange glances and then begin searching for what could’ve provoked such an observation. Then came the reveal…”You both have the same wallet!” OOOHHHH! How silly of me!!! How could I have failed to notice this?! (Sarcasm duly invoked.)
Ok, dear people, I’m not really sure how carrying the same wallet could possibly parlay into a sisterhood, but somehow, this dear lady saw it without reserve. My “sister” graciously noted, “Oh! I was wondering – I thought we might’ve been dressed alike.” I was less gracious with my wonderment, “I was just standing here thinking, 'Poor soul, bless her if God gave these looks to two people!'” We all laughed and then the discourse ensured as to how “pretty” our wallets were, whether we carry one all the time, purse it sometime, or whatever, etc.
The friendly babble continued until awkwardly interjected with another random remark from our new “postal pal”, “I wear these knee pants all the time. You know, ‘cause it’s so hot where I work. That building I work in, the so-in-so building over there. I’ve worn shorts all winter!” Can we all say, RANDOM? What in the heck? Ok, having a mind that usually works about like a nat in a banana plant, I can usually deal with “random”. However, I guess my gears just didn’t shift fast enough on this one. But we all acknowledged her comment and gave our own sypathetic, but baffled head nods.
John, one of the friendly – and I do mean VERY FRIENDLY – postal workers behind the counter started spitting out funny remarks to a couple of “friends”. After a remark or two, our "postal pal" (oh yes, she did) threw her two cents into THEIR conversation, and oh my, the exchange that did take place. After an extended banter between the parties, I heard my name, “Next”. I rushed to the counter and explained my quest. Of course, there was a little paper work to be done, consequently putting me to the side while “postal pal” got called to the desk. John and Pal went at it, I didn’t realize how fun buying stamps could be, but the discussion was very entertaining! I think that by the end, John was going to pick "Pal" up in his limo and a steak supper was planned. Of course, all this was in fun, and I wish I could have remembered all the small talk so I could pass it on to you for the effect, but as “Lily” as I am, you know half of it went over my head, and I would have had to ask for far too many repeated phrases and explanations.
"Pal" finally left, exchanging her farewell with us all, and I moved over with my finished paper work. Now my turn to banter with John. Of course, I tried to hang, and did well for a minute or two, but it got to be too much work and I needed to be able to check this task off my list for the day. John saw my rush, and after we discussed why I was unable to get cable and internet, etc. in my area, and why I wouldn’t really want to go hand deliver the package I was attempting to overnight to Florida because of the gators, swamp snakes, and other critters (all his observations – thanks, John, for keeping me from that dangerous mission), he bid me good day and I was off!

OK – how did all this turn-of-events seem to happen with such the ease and conductivity of switching on a fan on a hot Southern summer day? Just that – Southern day! I guess that’s one of the things that I hate and love the most about this place called the South. As much has been joked, written, and sung about as “Carter had oats” (yeah, that one too), but it’s true. I do see the double edge to the sword: some days, I love being able to walk into a place and see at least 10 people, who, whether they know you or not, will say “hey”, smile, or wish you a good day; and some days (mostly my “make-up free” or errand days), it can be quite bothersome. But it really isn’t all that bad! I have been a few places where you look at people and, if they look your way at all, they scowl at you like they just sucked down a lemon soaked in alum – just to see one smile would’ve meant the world. So thank you, "Postal Pal" for introducing me to my long-lost wallet sister and John and the rest of the post office workers and patrons on Thomas Street!

9 comments:

DrSoosie said...

I live in Los Angeles...so I know about scowls and glares nad feeling like another tile on the floor. But, what is neat is that even in such a big city you can find your niche. I live in a suburb (work in an urb) and I feel the small town thing there. I can go into the market and see all kinds of people I know whether I want to or not! I like it though. I suppose it is not the same as Southern hospitality...but I will take what I can get in the land of sunshine, movie stars and plastic everything!!! Good post...I hope your package arrives on schedule!

Ms. A said...

I think I'm a lot like Postal Lady. I find something to say to everyone.

Ms. A said...

But always in a good way!

DrSoosie said...

Wait..I posted a whole comment and I don't see it here. Did you get it or am I doing something wrong? Anyhow, I loved your postal blog and I told a whole story in relation it but I want to wait to see if you get this one! Let me know.

Andrea said...

DrSoosie - I haven't had the opportunity to travel extensively, but I can say that kindness (or Southern hospitality) is a people thing not a place thing. Have you found that to be the case? I have faith in people (and sometimes the post office) to have the capacity for niceness - it's our choice whether we want to let it shine through or not, I guess. LOL! I bet you see lots of smiles in your line of work! Thank you for your comment - and I'm enjoying your blog!

Andrea said...

I guess you can tell that by some of my "long-winded" posts that I can be a talker too. LOL! I do have the capacity for quietness - I just choose not to ALWAYS use it. I guess I take after both my parents but especially my dad. After my he retired, he would go to Wal-mart and strike up conversations with people - bless him! He was so funny! I was deathly embaressed, but he would say - "Honey, if they don't want to talk to me, they can just tell me or walk on!" He wasn't that bad, but we had fun with that for a little while. Funny the things you miss when they're gone.

Andrea said...

Hey guys - hope all your comments were posted - I'm not sure what happened! Sorry! Maybe it's all fine now - let me know if somethings still the matter.

Ashley King said...

that's just too funny!!!! depending on my mood, people like that can either REALLY annoy me or make my day.... =) i'm glad they made yours.... it's true. my stepmom came out from tennessee and she wanted to go to walmart.... target is more popular here than walmart.... however, walmart is far more popular in tennessee than is target.... my goodness, what an experience that was. she said, "i'll never ask you to go to walmart again... our walmart is so nice.... the people will pull out their wallets in line and show you their grandkids and on and on and on...." here, you can't even get people to smile or move out of your way for that matter....

things are beginning to look up for you.... you're seeming happier as time goes by.... times does take some of the pain away and in time, MOST of the pain away.... and when all is said and done, i hope it will be gone forever... and completely. =)

i think you are wonderful.

Andrea said...

Ashley - you are such a sweetie (tell your husband to stop rolling the eyes...LOL! JK) I am so thankful for your hanging with me through the blogging journey - I think you're right - things are the same in my life actually, but it is the perspective and the mentality that has had to change and it has been pretty painful at times. It's like my life has been put on hold (but not as cool as the Matrix). At any rate, lots of prayer & encouragement & a big dose of reality has helped in the healing. Still unsure of what tomorrow holds - but so many people in this world have such trying circumstances and difficulties in their lives that mine is wisp of an eyelash in comparison.
Thank you - I think you're pretty awesome yourself!