Wednesday, April 14, 2010

No Way! There's a Chapter 3?! (The Final Chapter)

“Alright, Let’s Take This One Food at a Time”: This has become less and less of a problem for me, but I mention it here just for the sake of showing how much improvement I have made over the years. I used to eat one thing at a time on my plate and work my way around. Occasionally, I inadvertently revert back to this habit. I would start with my least favorite item, saving the most coveted victuals for last. I no longer do this because I have learned the art of actually trying to enjoy a complete meal (not mixed, mind you, I do try to cleanse my palate before the next food is consumed) to decide which one I like best. Oh, no, maybe I do this so I can decide which one I’m going to eat last…maybe I haven’t really escaped it entirely! Oh well, it’s my food and I’ll eat it how and when I want to!



“Grease Monkey”: I may embarrass myself and others when eating pizza in that I don’t care where I am, I will take a napkin and dab the excess grease from my pizza. This habit is becoming less common because I’m finding it harder to eat pizza in my "elder, more hormonal years". I love it – but it don’t like me! The thought of putting that grease into my body is like running up to an Express Lube and asking to lick the pan. (Hasn’t stop me from consuming a funnel cake or two, however.)


“Seasoned or Waffle Fries with That, Ma-am?”: I’m a prejudice fry eater. I’m sorry…but I will not eat any fry that does not meet my credentials for perfection. I stop short of interviews, but I check them over with the fervor of a judge on Next Top Model. If they’re too crispy…NO! If they are too mushy…NO! If they have any discoloration…NO! Too much salt…NO! Too greasy…NO! Not goowd enough! I vhill nowt eat you! Go avay!



“Hold the Mayo Yeah, That's It… Just Keep Holding It”: I can detect mayo like a blood hound picks up a scent. I am proud to say that I have made great strides concerning this aversion also. I would never have put the stuff near my mouth three or four years ago. I’m not even sure as to what made me actually taste something that contained it, but today, I am able to eat SOME potato salads, SOME chicken salads, and spinach dip if it is not solely mayo based. But that’s it…not stickin’ my toe too far into that pool.

“Even Distribution of Goods”: This could actually be an addendum to the Meat Inspector, but it deserves to be on it’s on because of the story here-to-follow. When I am eating my sandwich or burger or any food for that matter, it all has to “look” right. It has to be evenly distributed. Just the right amount of meat to just the right amount of bread and a reasonable amount of condiment to flavor; just the perfect amount of cheese on that noodle in mac-n-cheese; the loaded mashed potatoes must have just the appropriate amount of cheese, bacon, etc to be considered worthy. If there happens to be too much bread, I’ll pinch it off and put it aside. If there’s too much meat, I take a bite of bread to even it out. If there’s too much mustard, ketchup, etc., well, that just gets wiped off. This oddity has even led me to a "cat fight" in the office with a fellow co-worker. After running to a nearby McDonald’s and getting two cheeseburgers, I returned to work and was joined by my friend in my office. After watching me eat for a minute or two, she asked me what I had gotten at McDonald’s. I told her and she remarked, “You should’ve just gotten a double cheeseburger meal!” I explained that I don’t like that big of a burger – it was too much meat and not enough bread. She then snarked back, “That’s just crazy! All you have to do is take the top off of one of the burgers you have and put them together and you have the same thing!” “But if I had wanted that, I would have ordered that!” I retorted. She continued to chide me about how stupid that was, and I held my ground on the fact that it was my taste buds and I would please them however I wanted!

OK – so I have food issues! I have heard it all from, “You don’t know what you’re missing!” to “You are so particular!” to “That’s just plain weird.” My mom was a great cook, one of those good Southern cooks – you know, the one who cooks good ol’ comfort foods. Chicken and dumplins – yuck; peas and cornbread – sickening; homemade vegetable or beef soup or gumbo – eeeewww; and biscuits and gravy – no way! How in the world did I manage to make it to the ripe old age of 36 and not suffer from severe malnutrition? How could I have managed to live in a household full of awesome foods and with such a great cook and not have a well-rounded appreciation for all things culinary? I pretty much survived off of hamburgers, chicken, peanut butter (thank God He spared me that one), jelly or ham sandwiches, pizza (greaseless, mind you), and spaghetti. Is it OCD, a habit conditionally formed from childhood, or just me being me…whatever the case, I don’t need an intervention. I have learned to eat a casserole (only certain ones), stomach mayonnaise (if hidden with enough disguises), and to mix it up on occasion by eating one or two bites of one thing and then one or two of another (after a palate cleanse). Why, I’ve even learned to try different foods if I find myself in a particularly brave and carefree mood. Who knows, I might even take a bite of my burger this week without looking at it, but let’s not get too crazy! So strange eaters unite! Let me know that I’m not alone in this savior faire of sustenance. And I will end on this note…VegAll is from Satan! No offense to the fans of this canned catastrophe, but I'll never be convinced otherwise on this one!

8 comments:

Ms. A said...

I do believe you and my granddaughter share some of the same traits. I still haven't figured out how she survives. If something doesn't look right, she gets hysterical. (and believe me, very few things look right, to her)

Anonymous said...

I definitely hear you on the pizza grease (my man has never understood my dabbing) and the fries (no limpies or crispies for me!).

Something I can't stand... Frozen, then boiled peas. Disgusting. Beyond revolting. But worse? Canned peas. Ack! The only acceptable pea form is fresh from the garden. Mmm.

And I hate popcorn. I'm probably the only person on earth who does. The smell of it makes me gag.

Oh. And greenish bananas (unless they're half rotten and baked into something). And apples (unless they're in pie). And oranges (unless they're Christmas oranges).

You're not alone! :)

Andrea said...

I don't go as far as hysterics, but I will shiver and I'm sure the look on my face would say it all! That poor child - we'll buy her some tissues too! LOL! If you need to send her to food rehab - I might be able to at least help her learn how to cope with watching all the willy nilly eaters around her eat! So unappreciated! (I also feel for you and her parents - I'm sure it was never easy for my mom & dad, but they would say, "You know where the bread and refrigerator are - you can fix yourself a sandwhich."

Andrea said...

Mainland - I'm so glad we hand in the same food universe! How funny! After all these years...and I find out I'm not alone! Yeaaaa! We need to meet up some day over some fries we decide NOT to eat!

PurestGreen said...

I would advise you never to order a salad in Norway, as it will likely be drowning in mayo.

Obviously there are others like you who do not like the concept of the double cheese burger and would rather eat two small ones. If there weren't, MacDonalds wouldn't make them.

DrSoosie said...

Andrea...it is funny but before being diagnosed with diabetes last year I was a cautious eater but let's just say not quite as fussy as you. However, I have always blotted the grease from my slice of pizza. That oozing oil is just gross!! I do mix my food together on the plate...but these days the food selection is limited...mostly veggies so I think it is okay for them to co-mingle. I find it very interesting the way people eat and what they eat...I think it reveals a lot about them.

Andrea said...

And Mainland...don't ask me why I wrote "hand" - OMW! I meant "stand" (as in taking a stand!). I'm so...GOOFY!! Glad non-the-less for the comment! Have a good week, girl!

Purest...thanks for the advice - no mayo!! Thanks to McDonald's I can have it my way...of course that is the Burger King montra, but oh well!

DrSoosie...grease blotters are good people! As far as the mixing - I will sit with you as you eat - I just won't watch you, is that ok? Unless we go to a Chinese restaurant. For some reason (probably all things are crunchy) I can eat stir fry if it has meat, etc. Oh my word...I'm not sure I want to know what all that reaveals about me! Maybe that's an idea?!

Andrea said...

I had two comments on here that never showed up - sorry guys! Don't know what happened there. I think I responded to Mainland by saying "French Fry Snobs Unite!" Those are some pretty good "oddities" you have there yourself - makes me proud!

And Ms. Anthropy - I think I sympathized with your granddaughter! But my hysterics are not bad - they just make me cringe and shiver on the inside like I just saw some kind of three headed rat!